Foo Infusion

A periodic infusion of foo from the world of a junior developer

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Daring Fireball wieghs in on the Great Kernel Debate

In the post I made about Mac OS X's kernel and Cringely's first mention of it, I basically said that eventhough the monolithic guys (Linux, esp) are all about getting down on Apple (XNU & Mach specifically) for being different, and slow, Apple should still consider themselves in a good position for innovation and technical acclaim. Plus I'm all for microkernels anyway.

Tech writer (newly full time!!) Daring Fireball has just published a few of his ideas on this topic as well. While I mainly avoided Cringely's article in particular, DF goes straight for the meat and makes a lot of the points that I hinted at, and many I didn't even see. For some great commentary on this subject, (plus a sweet geeky ink to a Linux kernel development forum thread that discusses this very thing from a slightly higher level), check out his article.

Look for much more from Daring Fireball, as he's recently taken up producing his blog as his full time job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home